Friday, April 10, 2015

A Rare Find! The Journey Continues...

Well another week has passed and it has been one filled with information and emotion.  I've been in the classroom learning tons of information, and with every passing day a new topic is added to the plate.  Every day starts with a quiz in which we are all expected to average 90%, it's been a tough task to maintain thus far.  We lost two classmates this week as well.  One of the trainees realized that it wasn't a career they wanted to pursue and another one was fired.  

We started out as 22 strong that traveled from all over the country.  Some traveled from as far as the East Coast, Texas, OKC and the Pacific Northwest.  All bringing with them a dream, a pursuit of something better.  A better wage, a change in scenery, and for some of the locals, following in the foot steps of family members that are or were a part of the railroaders life. 

Six weeks have passed and three dreams continue forward, but not on the rails.  A different road has taken them home or even on a greater dream.  The railroad only serving as a vessel to that next path.  Saddened I am by ones departure but excited in the same sentence by knowing that this short move is drawing him one step closer to what pulls on his heart.  The next chapter in his life that includes his family, Western Montana and happiness.  It was only a month ago that I blogged about a nice Christian man that pulled up next to me in a parking lot as I was looking at a trailer and aided me in negotiating with the seller for it and moving it to the same park he was at.  I honestly would have endured a greater struggle in that initial month if it weren't for him.  He helped me out in so many ways and was a listening ear in my moments of need.  He quickly became family for me with being separated from my own.  

Ricky Bobby is what they called him in class, a retired police officer from Oklahoma.  He wanted more though.  A new chapter in Big Sky Country with his family where he could enjoy the change of pace from the city and transition to a life in the great outdoors.  I look forward to seeing his dream as its nurtured and comes to fruition.  Rarely do we encounter relationships in life that immediately grow to something special, so quickly.  I found that in this man and look forward to sharing in each other's wins as we come across them in this journey of our lives.  

Thank you Bobby for everything that you did for me.  You helped me in so many ways and even the littlest things were huge in aiding me in that time I got to know you.  Thank you for your friendship.  Your a great man and deserve to bask in the joys of that dream your following.  When you get there, know that I will be right there with you, celebrating!

Today, a barbeque held by another coworker was great.  It allowed coworkers to bond and relationships to grow.  It was a much needed break from the grind of all the information that we've been going over at work.  Monday, a big test that will certify us as hostlers.  What's that?  It'll allow us to drive a locomotive within a yard or terminal area to do work with local industry.  At the end of the week we will have a midterm to gauge where we're at in the course.  From there, back out on the rails for two month with on the job training, to implement the things that we've been learning in the classroom.  

Outside of all of that, we've continued to share a dinner table and I've cooked some of my favorites for my friends here at the rv park.  I see my kids regularly via FaceTime and miss them so much.  I've woken up to snowy days and have enjoyed a couple of steak lunches put on by my employer.  Easter came and Easter went.  Spent for the first time away from my family, I shared the pleasure of having a ham dinner put on by the manager of the rv park and my friends here at the park as well.  A kind gesture knowing that we were away from our families.  I went to the movies with the guys and even saw my first snow owl on a little trip we took up to the Canadian border. 

The journey continues...









No comments:

Post a Comment